UP

Technical | Winders | North   >  Engine

Section under development

Contents:

The double-acting, horizontal-duplex non-condensing steam engine powering the North winder  was installed by the Lilleshall Company Ltd., in 1904/5. It is of late 19th century design, with the cylinders and cross-head guides bolted to a composite bed-frame.  It is believed to be the only surviving example of a Lilleshall winding engine although examples of their pumping engines can still be seen.

It operated at a pressure of 90psi. using superheated steam at ?? degC. 

The cylinders are 40.5in. in diameter with a 6ft. stroke. They did not have a steam jacket but were lagged (with asbestos ?) and clad in light steel sheet.

It is fitted with Cornish double-beat valves mounted between the cylinders.  The expansion gear was of Mellings “vertical wedge” design, with the inlet cut-offs operated by a centrifugal governor, belt driven from the drum shaft and  with rocker shafts connected to eccentrics located between the drum and the main bearings.

The forward & reverse eccentrics are mounted on a stub shaft driven by drag-links from the big-ends. The Allan straight-link reversing gear was operated by a Mellings patent steam reversing-engine activated by the drivers lever.

Cylinder lubrication was by a mechanical oiler operated from the valve rocker-shafts. The crosshead-guides have sight-feed oilers, whilst other moving parts use Stauffer type grease cups.

other Lilleshall engines

TOP


Copyright © 2005 - 2017      J.S. Thatcher

Page updated on:

08 Apr, 2018

at

02:15:14 PM

In case of problems contact:

webmaster@pleasley-colliery.org.uk

BuiltWithNOF